Women’s Collective is a collective of more than 100,000 Women spread over in 15 districts in Tamilnadu. working for the empowerment of the rural and marginalized women, children, elders.
The Collective is facilitated by Ms.Sheelu through participatory process and was started way back in 1994. It was the time when leadership of women among NGOs was a rare affair and mostly women were field workers executing orders at village level. Now WC work covers 1383 villages falling under 17 Parliament constituencies, 31 assembly constituency, 581 Village Panchayats, 72 taluks, 88 unions, 4 city Corporations and 18 districts. The Team consists of 191 volunteers at varied level. 33coordinators. 48% Volunteers are daliths, 22% Single women, 2% Physically Challenged, 1 % Muslims, 33% Christians, 3% men.
WC was registered under Tamilnadu Societies registration act 1975 on 15th of September, 2001 as a not for Profit Voluntary organization. It is been registered under 12 A section of Income Tax and has Income Tax exemptions u/s 80G, WC got its FCRA registration very recently in July 2011 under the new FCRA act.
Major Focus Area:
• Women’s Rights with special attention to Issues of Violence against Women.
• Dalith Rights.
• Local Governance.
• Alternative Farming for Food Security, Safe food production, Global warming
• Environmental Protection.
• Disaster Preparedness.
• Worker’s Rights especially Un-organized Workers.
• Developing responsible future Generation – Children’s Panchayath / School Awareness.
• Elders Rights through Campaign and Advocacy.